Created this drink the other night off of a recipe for Basil Gimlet. I was getting a little burnt out from vodka for the week so I decided to make a spritzer with some Sav Blanc I had in the old wine rack.
This is a light refreshing beverage with citrus and sparkle. I made it in a pitcher so I wouldn’t have to go back to the bar so often but you could scale it down to individual cocktail size if you please. I would recommend the latter since I ended up drinking the whole pitcher and crashing rather than writing this post 🙂 Don’t worry I wrote down the ingredients…
Basil Lime Spritzer
1 bottle of white wine
4 sprigs of basil
1 c simple syrup
1 c tonic water
1/2 c lime juice
limes for garnish
1. Make up about a cup of simple syrup by heating 3/4c sugar and 3/4 water in the microwave for about 2 minutes. Stir until clear.
2. Chop about 4 bushels/sprigs of basil into small strips and toss in with warm simple syrup. This heat will create a pseudo-infused basil simple syrup. If you have cold simple syrup it will work too but you won’t get as much of the basil flavor.
3. Add 1/2 c of lime juice and 6-8 lime wedges to the mix. Fill with ice and stir!
4. Add 1 bottle of dry white wine. I chose Savignon Blanc but Pinot Gris would work too. If you go for something too sweet like Riesling it might be too much with the simple syrup.
5. Top off the pitcher with about 1 c of tonic water. Pour into a glass and garnish with lime slice and/or basil sprig!
This drink is delicious! With the wine based nature you can have a few before you have to stop 🙂 If you’re having a party, make up an extra batch because this pitcher doesn’t last long 🙂